In her first foray onto the political stage, Janna Zurita was overwhelmingly elected to the Compton City Council on June 7, 2011, soundly defeating eight-year incumbent Barbara Calhoun to represent the First District.
Born and reared in Compton, Councilmember Zurita is the daughter of retired public administrator Clarence Zurita and former two term Compton City Councilmember Delores Zurita. She is the sister of Compton Unified School District (CUSD) Board of Trustees President Satra Zurita.
A product of the Compton Unified School District, Councilmember Zurita graduated from Compton High School in 1982. She furthered her education at Compton Community College and Long Beach City College, where she was trained and certified as a surgical nurse.
Prior to being elected to the Compton City Council, Zurita worked at various hospitals in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas. She also managed her own business.
Janna Zurita began her community service in her early teens as a volunteer career serving meals to seniors in the Compton area Meals On Wheels Program, which has been directed by her mother for more than 42 years. The Dickison Community Lighted Schools Meals On Wheels Program was started by Delores Zurita and Blondell Filer in 1968. Since 2008 she has worked for the program as a community organizer for seniors. She has also served as a fundraiser and special events coordinator. Zurita has been an active member of the PTA for many years.
On July 12, 2010, Zurita was elected to the Los Angeles County Democratic Party Central Committee, representing the 52nd Assembly District.
The youngest member of the Compton City Council, Councilmember Zurita was selected as Mayor Pro Tem on July 5, 2011. She currently represents the city as an alternate on the California Joint Powers Authority and the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County (District 1).
As a member of the Compton City Council, Zurita is championing the causes she promised to address when campaigning. She has led the charge to reduce water rates in the City of Compton. Working to improve the quality of life for all Compton residents, Councilmember Zurita supports public safety, clean and safe parks and neighborhoods, enhanced street and sidewalk services, new business development, and senior services.
Partial List of Projects:
- Sebrie Park Restoration (not done in 20 years)
- Best Buy
- In-N-Out, Waba Grill, El Pollo Loco, Jimmy Johns, Auto Parts & America’s Best at Central & Artesia
- Aldi Grocery Store in Town Center
- Cleared blighted lots with new developments: US Storage, New Center on Wilmington & Rosecrans, Wilmington Blvd Construction
- Central Ave. Construction
- Host one of the very few Autism Swim Programs in Southern California
- Supported the use of unused city facilities that were falling apart to Community Based Organizations that now bring revenues and services not provided by the city to the community (VOA).
- Trimmed all trees on Rosecrans Avenue (not done since they were planted)
- Cleaned all three miles of Compton Creek Jogging Path
- Life Guard Training Program
- Year round use of Gonzales Park Pool
- Renovation and use of Campfire
- New Playground Equipment at Lueders and Wilson Park
- Developments underway:
- 60 homes at Pannes & Rosecrans
- 24 homes at Dwight & Compton Blvd.
- 30+ homes at 250 N. Central
- 30+ homes at 1950 N. Central
- Affordable Housing Multifamily Units coming to Temple & Long Beach Blvd.
- Affordable Housing and Commercial Development coming to 500 Block of Compton Blvd.
- Specific Transit Oriented Development Plans underway (Artesia & Compton Rail Stations)
- Plans to be developed by Planning for Compton Blvd. transformation to compliment the Compton Rail Specific Plan
- Roscoe’s Chicken & Waffles on Compton Blvd.
- Dickies BBQ, Compton Pho Noodles, Fish Bones, Everytable
- Street markings repainted.
- Held City’s First Homeless Outreach event
- Demanding accountability by hiring key personnel
- Fire Chief
- Public Works Director
- Code Enforcement Manager
- Community and Economic Development Director
- Assistant City Manager
- Water Department General Manager
- Street Superintendent
- Chief Building Inspector